Friday, January 06, 2012

Old Christmas Day

It's January 6th, otherwise known as the Twelfth day of Christmas or Old Christmas Day. Many people have probably never heard of Old Christmas day, but in my family, it's always been a tradition to leave all the decorations up until today. As an adult, I've always taken down the tree whenever it felt right, which means anywhere from New Years Day to January 6th. This year was one of those years where the holiday seemed much too short, so I kept them up.

I've spent the afternoon packing away all the decorations and taking down the tree. Everything has been vacuumed, swiffered and dusted and I'm exhausted. lol But it does come down quicker than it goes up. :)

The apartment always looks so big and empty once everything has been taken down, but I like it. I haven't gotten much new writing done since Christmas. I think it's mostly because I've still been in vacation mode. Now that the cold of January is settling upon us, it's time for me to get back to work doing what I love--writing books!

2 comments:

Patti Duplantis said...

In New Orleans we call it King's Day and celebrate with a special cake and party from now through Mardi Gras.

N.J.Walters said...

I've never heard of King's Day before, Patti. It's wonderful how celebrations vary from place to place.