Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Quote of the Week!

"I try to leave out the parts that people skip."

~Elmore Leonard

This quote made me laugh. It's also a very good reminder to all writers.

I'm currently working on rewrites for my latest book, trying to get it into top shape to submit to my editor. The trick is to step back from your writing and be brutal with it. You have to ask yourself that question: "Will people skip this part?" If the answer is yes, you have two choices. You can rewrite it and make it into something people want to read. Or you can cut it. That's the choice you have to make as a writer. The worst thing you can do is leave it in just because you happen to be attached to it. It doesn't matter how brilliant the prose is if it doesn't help advance the story.

2 comments:

Charlene Teglia said...

It is good advice. And usually means it's a good place to add conflict!

N.J.Walters said...

Absolutely! The more we torture our poor characters, the better.