Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Edits and Editors


I'd done with edits and have sent them back to my editor. Thankfully, there wasn't much to fix in this manuscript. No major plot points gone awry. Mostly grammer (darn commas) and word choice and the occasional minor problem.

A lot of writers don't enjoy doing edits. But I'm not one of them. While edits can be frustrating sometimes (I've been known to want to bang my head against the wall on occasion), they are also a signal that I'm getting closer to releasing a new book. That's always exciting. It's challenging and rewarding to make your work even better. And the time and distance away from the book between submission time and edits gives you a fresh eye when it's time to do edits.

I've had seven different editors since I started writing six years ago and I owe them all a great debt. I've learned so much from these incredible professionals. Editors don't get enough credit. They work in the background, helping to bring out the best in writers and their books. Each and every book I've ever edited I've learned something new about myself as a writer. That, hopefully, makes me a better writer for my next book.

So next time you're reading a book by your favorite author, stop and think about the person behind the scenes--the editor. Their hard work has helped make the book an even better read.

Have a fabulous Wednesday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love my editors. Without them I'd be in trouble! :)

Congrats on finishing edits on another book.

N.J.Walters said...

Me too, Amber. :)

Thanks. It's great to have it done.

Unknown said...

I love edits.:-)