Thursday, December 15, 2011

Favorite Christmas Movies


Throughout the entire month of December, my husband and I watch as many of our favorite and classic holiday movies as we can possibly cram in. Of course, it starts out slow, with maybe one a week early in the month, and becomes more like one-a-night as the calendar gets closer and closer to the 25th.



Same as with the music, the movies I enjoy tend to be the ones that say something positive about life or humanity because I don't believe you have to be harsh or cruel to get your point across. At Christmas time, I just like to feel good. My favorite ten movies and shows of the season are below. These are the ones I try to watch every year.



10. Little Women (The Winona Ryder version. It has such warmth and wisdom.)
"I'm so desolated."

9. Scrooged (Bill Murray)
"It's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer."

8. A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim)
"Humbug!"

7. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (The animated version. A mean one, but a great one.)
"You can't stop Christmas from coming!"

6. A Charlie Brown Christmas (I never get tired of watching the dust rise off of Pigpen when he sings or seeing that little, scrawny tree grow into a veritable forest.)
"Can somebody please tell me the true meaning of Christmas?"
"Sure, Charlie Brown."



5. It's A Wonderful Life (This one makes me cry, especially at the end.)
"To my big brother George, the richest man in town!"

4. A Muppet Family Christmas (Swedish Chef meets the Bird of his dreams!)
"Be careful of the icy patch!"



3. A Muppet Christmas Carol (Gonzo the Great plays Mist-uh Dickens himself)
"Darkness was cheap, and Scrooge liked it."


2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Not mean, just nutty.)
"That tree will never go in our yard, Dad."
"It's not going in our yard, Russ. It's going in our living room."

1. Scrooge (The Albert Finney version).
"You wish to remain anonymous, sir?"
"I wish to be left alone!"

What are some of your favorite holiday movies?

2 comments:

Maria D. said...

You named most of my favorite movies but I also like to watch some of the older movies like Shop Around the Corner, Christmas in Connecticut, Meet Me In St. Louis and lastly "A Christmas Story"

Margie said...

I like to watch the classics, but have to include Santa Buddies also.