Sunday, August 07, 2011

God grant me the serenity...

We all know the familiar serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I find myself using it often these days with regards to the weather. I've officially decided that summer has passed us by this year. Since the first of June I think we might have had seven days with no rain. While most of the world has been caught in a heat wave, I've been living in the land of rain and drizzle.

Now, I know many of you will say I'm lucky not to have had to deal with the heat. But, imagine having six months of winter, followed by one month of so/so spring and two solid months of rain, drizzle and cold. It's enough to get anyone down.

But I've decided to embrace the coming autumn and hope for some nice crisp, sunny fall weather. Hubby and I tried out a new coffee shop this morning and I had a rich, creamy hot chocolate. And, yes, it is cold enough for hot chocolate. The temperature was around 48 degree farenheit and the winds were from the northeast.

So, here's to the summer that never was. I'll consider it a bonus if you shine in our direction for a few days this month. (So far in the first seven days we've seen one day of sunshine and the rest has been rain.)

In the meantime, bring on the fall with all her glory. I know, I'm more than ready for a change of seasons. Have a fabulous Sunday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that sucks! I'd be unhappy too. I love summer so to have it ruined by rain is just not right! Hope sunny days come your way.

Unknown said...

Having endured the heatwave and now back in the humid 90's I can say I much prefer the weather you have. But then I LOVE winter. LOL

Shelley Munro said...

That doesn't sound like much fun. I do think the weather patterns have gone a bit crazy. We've had a very warm winter. It's still rained, but the temperatures have been mild. The spring flowers are busy bursting out. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some sun and the rest of the US gets cooler weather.

N.J.Walters said...

Thanks, Amber. I really hope we get at least two weeks of summer.

I prefer the heat, Kat. It's summer, it's supposed to be hot. lol All this dull cold weather is depressing. At least in winter there are days of sunshine. This rain and fog is not fun at all.

It's not fun at all, Shelley. Your weather sounds lovely. Enjoy the spring flowers. :)