Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar Night



Tonight is the biggest party in the movie business--The Oscars. I've been lucky enough to see a few of the nominated movies, not all, but enough to make the show interesting.



The quality of movies nominated this year is, in my humble opinion, the best crop in a few years. Zero Dark Thirty and Argo were inspired by true events in recent history, while Lincoln went back in time, but was no less riveting.



Daniel Day-Lewis's performance as Lincoln will probably win him another well deserved Oscar, but I'd love to see Hugh Jackman win for his roll in Les Miserables.



I have to say I wasn't keen on seeing Silver Linings Playbook, but hubby wanted to go so we did. It was fantastic! Jennifer Lawerence's performance was steller and Bradley Cooper really pushed himself in this role and did an incredible job. I think it will be a toss up between Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain in the best actress category.


I didn't see Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild or Life of Pi, but have heard only good things about them. I'll probably see them all eventually on DVR. The movie that people either loved or hated was Django Unchained, which is not really surprising considering the director. I'll be disappointed if Christoph Waltz doesn't win for best supporting actor. Even though I thought Tommy Lee Jones was riveting in Lincoln, Christoph Waltz was nothing short of brilliant.



So, I have the list of nominees printed off and hubby and I will make our picks of who we think will win. Tonight, we'll curl up on the sofa, have some snacks and watch all the fun. Gotta love the movies!

No comments: