Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Family Christmas Tree

Today was the big day! Hubby and I sallied forth into the world to get our Christmas tree. Luckily, my brother borrowed his father-in-law's truck, so tranporting it home was easy. Getting it up three flights of stairs to our apartment, however, wasn't so easy.

It all began when we went to the same lot where we got our tree last year. The guy there has fantastic trees--very fresh and very reasonably priced. The first tree we looked at was absolutely perfect. I knew it was THE tree. But still, I had to look at the rest of his trees. One can never be too sure when it comes to picking out a tree.

The problem began when my brother drove away and hubby and I tried to shove the tree in through the back door of the apartment building. I was reminded of the quote from the movie National Lampoon's Christmas vacation where Chevy Chase says to his son, "It's not going in our yard, Russ, it's going in our living room."

We finally get the tree up the stairs and jam it in through the apartment door where I declare to my husband, "It's not going back out the same way. When it comes down, we're tossing it out over the balcony." Still, much trimming later, we have about a twelve inch opening so that people can actually get into the living room. LOL Somehow, our living room seemed much larger when we were looking at the tree on the lot.

I spent most of the afternoon stringing popcorn and cranberries while hubby dealt with the lights. The tree is now all decorated and absolutely gorgeous and still incredibly huge for the space. But, I love it!

Somehow every year we manage to find the perfect Christmas tree and this year is no different. I hope to have some pictures to post in a few days.

Until then, happy tree hunting to one and all, and to all a good night!

No comments: