Saturday, August 24, 2013

Weekend Book Club: Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter Series

Every now and then I like to go to my "Keeper" shelf and reread old books and series that I love. With the new edition to the Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunters series due out soon I thought it would be great to go back and reread some of them. It also didn't hurt that the books have been on sale recently at Kindle and Sony Reader Store. Even though I own them in paperback, I did load up on some of my favorites in the series in ebook.

If you love paranormal romance, you need to read this series. But do yourself a favor and start from the beginning. You won't be sorry you did.



I love this entire series, but I do have a few favorites books, starting with DANCE WITH THE DEVIL. Has there ever been such an anti-hero as Zarek. He breaks my heart every time I read this story. It takes a very special woman to break through his rock-hard exterior to the fierce heart that beats beneath.

BLURB:

Zarek's Point of View:

Dark-Hunter: A soulless guardian who stands between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. Yeah, right. The only part of that Code of Honor I got was eternity and solitude.

Insanity: A condition many say I suffer from after being alone for so long. But I don't suffer from my insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Trust: I can't trust anyone...not even myself. The only thing I trust in is my ability to do the wrong thing in any situation and to hurt anyone who gets in my way.

Truth: I endured a lifetime as a Roman slave, and 900 years as an exiled Dark-Hunter. Now I'm tired of enduring. I want the truth about what happened the night I was exiled-I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Astrid (Greek, meaning star): An exceptional woman who can see straight to the truth. Brave and strong, she is a point of light in the darkness. She touches me and I tremble. She smiles and my cold heart shatters.

Zarek: They say even the most damned man can be forgiven. I never believed that until the night Astrid opened her door to me and made this feral beast want to be human again. Made me want to love and be loved. But how can an ex-slave whose soul is owned by a Greek goddess ever dream of touching, let alone holding, a fiery star?



Another book in this series I absolutely love is NIGHT PLAY. Vane might be a Were-Hunter wolf, but he's one of the most romantic heroes that has ever been written. The way he is with Bride makes my heart go pitter-patter.

BLURB:

Bride McTierney has had it with men. They're cheap, self-centered, and never love her for who she is. But though she prides herself on being independent, deep down she still yearns for a knight in shining armor.

She just never expected her knight in shining armor to have a shiny coat of fur...

Deadly and tortured, Vane Kattalakis isn't what he seems. Most women lament that their boyfriends are dogs. In Bride's case, hers is a wolf. A Were-Hunter wolf. Wanted dead by his enemies, Vane isn't looking for a mate. But the Fates have marked Bride as his. Now he has three weeks to either convince Bride that the supernatural is real or he will spend the rest of his life neutered--something no self-respecting wolf can accept...

But how does a wolf convince a human to trust him with her life when his enemies are out to end his? In the world of the Were-Hunters, it really is dog-eat-dog. And only one alpha male can win.



But my absolute favorite of the series to date has to be ACHERON. Those of us who have followed this series from the very beginning waited a long time for this book and Sherrilyn Kenyon delivered an absolute masterpiece.

How can a man who has been so tortured and betrayed have such compassion? In this book we learn it all, all the secrets that have made Acheron one of the most beloved male characters of all time. I didn't know if it was possible for the author to create a heroine worthy of him, but she did just that. This is a love story for the ages!

BLURB:

Eleven thousand years ago a god was born. Cursed into the body of a human, Acheron spent a lifetime of shame. However, his human death unleashed an unspeakable horror that almost destroyed the earth. Then, brought back against his will, Acheron became the sole defender of mankind.

Only it was never that simple. For centuries, he has fought for our survival and hidden a past he’ll do anything to keep concealed. Until a lone woman who refuses to be intimidated by him threatens his very existence.
 
Now his survival, and ours, hinges on hers and old enemies reawaken and unite to kill them both.

War has never been more deadly... or more fun.

No comments: