Thursday, October 02, 2008

Cinderella


Last night hubby and I took in a local theatre production of Cinderella. Not quite the disney version, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

I love watching the kids in the audience--the little ones, not the big ones like me. There were two little girls sitting not far from us and they were totally enthralled. One of them even had a three-foot plush Cinderella doll, which she sat in the chair next to her.

What is it about this story we all love?



Is it the castle? The magic? The hope? The happily Ever After?
Does it really matter?

The story is a timeless one where the wicked are punished and the good guys win. It is also a love story, probably one of the earliest ones many of us were exposed to as children.

Yes, I have problems with certain parts of the storyline, but that's neither here nor there.

What is important is that last night I sat in a dark theatre with a group of adults and children and allowed myself to be swept away by the magic. Sure there were some technical difficulties in the show, but the performances were wonderful.

All in all, it was a great way to spend an evening.

2 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Yep. And my first "grown-up" doll was a Cinderella doll. You brought back some lovely memeories. Thank you.

Shelley Munro said...

It sounds like you had a lovely evening. I like watching the kids at shows like this.