Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Winter Blues

It's the time of year when many folks fall victim to the Winter Blues. The lack of sunshine, the piles of snow everywhere and the short days (more darkness, less light) are the primary reasons. While some people have a severe reaction to this and can need professional treatment, I think most of us are prone to a slighter reaction and just end up feeling a little blue.

What can we do to help counter this reaction?

1. Exercise. Which can be tough when you don't feel like doing anything, but it will help.
Now if I can only make myself work out. :-)

2. Get outside when the sun does shine. If the sun isn't making an appearance near you, make sure to take some vitamin D supplements.

3. Take up a new hobby. It will help stimulate your brain and give you something new and interesting to focus on.

4. Cook. Don't fall victim to the pre-cooked meal or fast food. Cook with fresh fruits and vegetables to give yourself a taste of summer.

5. Don't be afraid to take a nap if you need one. Honestly, I think naps are underrated. They can be rejuvenating and just plain cozy.

And remember, spring isn't too far away. How do you cope with the Winter Blues?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't get them I'm afraid.:-) Winter is my all-time favorite season. With enough warm comfy clothes you can stay warm. And the bugs are hibernating which is a major plus for a bugaphobe like me.:-) Plus I just love the cold. It helps also that any and all snow shovelling is done by my apartment complex and not me. Yes that includes all walkways too.:-)

N.J.Walters said...

It's great that you love winter, Kat. My SIL is like that. She's allergic to the sun so she loves this time of year.

I like the fact that the bugs are hibernating. *g* But, I hate the cold. LOL It's a trade-off.

Kara said...

I do get the winter blues. The only thing good about the winter is that the kids are in school - LOL!!

I usually try to curl up with a good book on the days that I'm feeling blue...it helps me escape to a new world, meet new people, and dream of romance. When I am between books, I cross stitch. Both of those "hobbies" help me through the winter.

N.J.Walters said...

Both of those things help a lot, Kara. I get a little down in the winter when we can go weeks with hardly any sunshine.

I like to read and am thinking about taking up a new hobby this winter too. I'm still trying to decide what. I may take an evening course at a local fine arts school if I can find something that interests me.

Anny Cook said...

That nap is WONDERFUL advice! And the rest--yep--every bit of it.

I would add the possibility of a "sun" lamp on the desk. It does double-duty and helps nudge those winter blues away.

Anny Cook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
N.J.Walters said...

A sun lamp is a great idea, Anny. I know a lot of folks use those full spectrum lights to help fight the winter blues.

Charlene Teglia said...

Vitamin D really makes a difference. Getting active is good, too. I've been buying pre-cut veggie trays and fruit to make it easy to eat the fresh stuff year-round. But I'm with you on naps. Wish I had time to take more of them.

N.J.Walters said...

I've started taking Vitamin D regularly and am hoping it helps. Exercise...I've been having a harder time getting motivated.