Thursday, January 04, 2007

Back to the Routine

The Christmas tree is down and all the lights and decorations are packed away for another year. It's hard to see it all come down, but I love how big the place feels after all the holiday stuff is gone. With the New Year, there is a sense of a new beginning. That anything can happen.

I will admit that I am having a hard time getting back into my writing routine. I think it's because I left a project not finished before the holiday started. After being away from it for a couple of weeks, I'm finding it hard to pick up my momentum. But, I've spent the last two mornings in the chair in front of the computer, plowing my way through re-writes of my latest work-in-progress. I promised myself that, next year, I'm having my latest work finished before the holiday begins. I only hope I can keep that promise.

I'm the type of writer who prefers to work every day. Not that I can spend all day at the computer. But, I do like to put in several hours in the morning on my latest work. In the afternoon, I go through my emails and check out my chat groups. Doing a bit every day keeps me in the story. I know that some authors can spend all day at their keyboards. I did that once and I swore I'd never do it again. Took me days to recover. LOL

I prefer to take breaks in-between projects. When I finish one book, I'll take a few days or a week or two and start thinking about my next one, do some reading, catch up on the housework, and generally relax.

Tomorrow morning will find me back in my chair in front of my computer working on my latest project. I'm hoping to finish it within the next week. We'll see. :-)

No comments: