Monday, January 05, 2009

Monday, Monday...

The lights have gone dark, the tree is gone and all the decorations have been packed away for another year. Christmas is offically over...at least at our house.

I know that Old Christmas Day is tomorrow, but we packed away the remnants of the holiday over the weekend. It was time to get back to normal. Some years I'll keep the tree up until after Old Christmas Day. Other years I've taken it all down on New Year's Day. Most years it falls somewhere in-between.

January is a time of new beginnings. The year is new and fresh with nothing but possibilities ahead.

Now if I can only kick-start myself into 2009 I'd be happy. *g*

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Old Christmas Day? Never heard of it.:-)

Anny Cook said...

Me either. Sounds like a good story!

I've determined that my tree will stay up most of January because it cheers me up! I like the lights. Maybe I'll write a Christmas story while I'm in the mood!

Crystal Dee said...

I'm a procrastinator in a major way when it comes to taking down the Christmas Stuff. Today is the day I promised to start the process and I'm going to get at it here in just a few minutes.

Happy New Year!!

Did you know that the French Celebrate Christmas til Jan 12 or 14? Trivia from high school French class. Can't remember why, but I've always used it as a way to hold off taking down the tree.

N.J.Walters said...

Your comment became the subject of my next blog post, Kathy. :-)

I'd never really thought about why it was called Old Christmas Day, Anny. It was just something I was brought up with. I figure if it makes you happy, keep the tree up!

Happy New Year, Crystal. I'm the exact opposite. Once the new year hits, I usually can't wait to take down the deocrations. I don't really feel as though the new year can truly begin until the old one is finished.