Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Pancake Day

Whatever you call the day, if you celebrate it, you will be eating pancakes today.

This celebration is associated with eating foods such as pancakes, and sometimes donuts, orginally because these foods used up ingredients such as fat and eggs, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. I know of some cultures which put money or other items in their pancakes. Personally, I always thought that was extremely dangerous and don't recommend it.

My mom always made plain pancakes. She served them up with a yellow sauce made out of custard powder. I have no idea exactly how she made it, only that it was yummy. Add a few slices of bacon to your plate and it was a meal I always looked forward to as a kid.

Whether you observe this as a religious holiday or not doesn't matter. Enjoy some pancakes for supper tonight.

For more information check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love pancakes, but I had waffles instead.:-) My mom makes them with lots of butter and syrup and I just can't get enough of her waffles. I personally do not celebrate Shrove Tuesday, but I hope you have a great one, NJ.:-)

AE Rought said...

Sounds like a great day to make breakfast for dinner! :o) I'm going to have to rearrange the menu.

Happy Tuesday, NJ!

N.J.Walters said...

Waffles sound yummy too, Kathy. It's a great excuse to eat pancakes and waffles. *g*

N.J.Walters said...

Having breakfast for supper always seems like a treat. Enjoy AE!

anny cook said...

How neat. I never knew where that expression came from. Thanks for explaining!

Charlene Teglia said...

If you get the recipe for the custard sauce, please share.

N.J.Walters said...

I didn't know either, Anny. I just always at the pancakes. *g*

N.J.Walters said...

I'll ask next time I'm talking to my mom, Charli. That's if I remember. LOL