Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Electronic Equipment and Me


It seems to me that everthing seems to break down at once. Our main computer has been acting very strangely these past few weeks. I think the motherboard is on the way out--it runs slow and the screen freezes. And that's only a couple of the strange things it's doing. Hoping it holds out another couple of weeks until we have the time to replace it. And, yes, we have backed up everything. But it's still going to be a nuisance to have to replace it and get everything up and running again.


And yesterday morning the DVR player decided it wasn't going to record. For a while it would even release the disk inside it from captivity. After unplugging the DVR, and accidentally unplugging the television and losing all the preset channels, it coughed up the disk. Tried several disks with the same results. Broke out a new disk and finally got the machine to work. But for how long is anyone's guess.


I know I'll sound like my grandparents, but here goes...they don't make things like they used to. Electronic equipment is built to last about two years. After that time it's either obsolete or breaking down. The major companies who build this stuff want you to keep spending your money on new stuff.


Remember when a television set was meant to last twenty years or more and folks actually got them repaired? When a stereo was a piece of furniture that was an investment. I do. Don't get me wrong, I think techological advancement is great. I just wish I could get more than two years before a relatively expensive piece of equipment is toast.


Here's to a new computer somewhere in the not too distant future. Hope this one makes it that long. Let's pray nothing else decides to give out in the next few weeks, myself included. lol I'm not getting any younger and I fear my warranty expired years ago.


Have a great Wednesday!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Tell me about it. I had this wonderful custom built Gateway computer. It lasted nine years. Then it died and I had to replace it. The new computer died after only a year and now I just had to get a new one to replace the replacement.

N.J.Walters said...

That's too bad, Kat. They don't make technology to last.

anny cook said...

It's called planned obsolescence. We have a TV sitting on the living room floor, waiting for us to take to my daughter's house. We've had it at least 20 years. Nothing wrong with it except it's too heavy for us to move.

Computers...yep.

Best wishes with your electronics!

N.J.Walters said...

That's exactly it, Anny. They build computer equipment/phones, etc.. to break or to be obsolete in a short amount of time. And we have to keep buying it over and over because we depend on it so much for work and daily living.

N.J.Walters said...

Hope you get the television out of your living room soon. :)

anny cook said...

Easter weekend...along with all the other stuff left behind...Ah, moving. Isn't it wonderful?

Abigail-Madison Chase said...

I do remember when a TV last for years or a record player no things last only until you pay for them.

N.J.Walters said...

That is so true, Abigail-Madison.