Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sleigh Bells Ring...

Or is that the cha-ching of the cash registers in the stores that I hear.

Either way, the time has come to seriously start thinking about shopping for the holidays, if you haven't already started.

This past Friday was Black Friday--the day when most retailers finally make it into the "black" for the year. Yesterday was Cyber-Monday--the day most people scramble to online shop.

What do you do?

Personally, I'm not an online shopper and Black Friday isn't a factor where I live. I enjoy Christmas shopping, as long as I hit the stores early in the day before it gets too crazy. I'm also a big believer in the gift card! Some folks don't like them, but I do. It's not the same as giving money. The recipient has to use the card at the store. Plus, you have to know what stores that someone likes.

But even if you're not 100% certain at what store people on your list really like to shop, there are some standards that you can't go wrong with--coffee shops, restaurants, movies and bookstores. Who doesn't like to treat themselves to a coffee and some chocolate goodie, a great meal, a movie or a book or magazine?

Personally, I love to give and get gift cards, especially the ones for the movies and the bookstore. It's the right size and I don't have to worry about finding a place to put it in my apartment once the holiday season is over. And I'm honestly grateful for it, especially in January and February when I'm trying to pay the high heat bills. It's great to be able to whip out a gift card at the bookstore and treat myself.

Happy Shopping!

7 comments:

Tempest Knight said...

I went online to check out the Black Friday specials, but there wasn't a thing I needed so I didn't bother to brave the mall's crazy crowd. I only went to my local computer shop and bought a new hard drive for my computer, which was on special.

Yesterday it was the Monday Internet specials, which I was hoping to take advantage of, but I had to take mom to the ER so I missed it.

Unknown said...

I am without a doubt an online shopper. I am extremely clautrophobic and the madness of Christmas shopping from Black Friday on in stores gives me panic attacks. Too many people in too tight spaces. Ugh! I much prefer the simplicity of shopping online with no lines or surly crowds to deal with. In fact, I NEVER go out shopping even for groceries on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during the holiday rush time.

N.J.Walters said...

Sorry you had to take your mom to the ER, Tempest. Hope she's okay. I imagine the computer shop was nuts too.

N.J.Walters said...

I'm not fond of crowds myself, Kathy. That's why I tend to shop as soon as the stores open. We have a 24 hour grocery store nearby and I enjoy shopping there around 8 AM on Sunday mornings. :-)

Shelley Munro said...

I'm a big online shopper when it comes to books but for other things I like to see them in person. It's that tactile thing, especially with clothes. I love receiving gift cards. They're the best invention.

Like Kathy I try to avoid crowds of shoppers. Stand between a rabid shopper and a bargain? Uh-huh! Not me!

Unknown said...

I also don't have many people to buy for. My only family is my mom and I have a few close friends so I don't need to go through the headache of rushing to find everything. I don't have that much to buy.:-)

N.J.Walters said...

I love gift cards too, Shelley. And thankfully, my family now gives me some for the bookstore every Christmas. I love being able to go to the bookstore in the dead of winter when I'm broke paying the heating bills and buy a new book!

I've seriously cut back my list over the years, Kathy. I think a lot of folks have. Makes the season less crazy.